| June 14, 2012 | 25 Comments

hunting NPWS 300x288 Animal Liberation, National Parks Association & Others Rally Against Hunting in NSW National Parks

Today, a bunch of loonies like Animal Liberation NSW, National Parks association and even the NSW Public Service Association are all outside NSW Parliament House protesting hunting in National Parks.

I would really love to know how many of these people are going to attend the rally.

I guarantee you that the attendees to the SHOT Expo this weekend will outnumber protesters 100 or more to 1.

Here is some of the words of so-called wisdom from our much beloved (Sarcasm) Anti-hunting groups.

Lynda Stoner, CEO of Animal Liberation NSW:

“Opening the gate for recreational hunting in 79 national parks and other conservation areas in New South Wales poses a serious risk to the safety of park staff, visitors, wildlife and the environment,” “Allowing non-professional hunters into our national parks raises serious animal welfare concerns, making it very difficult to ensure clean, humane kills of introduced species,”

Pepe Clarke, CEO of the Nature Conservation Council of NSW:

“Managing this program will put a huge strain on the already overstretched resources of the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Despite the Governments claims, this is purely a political deal, not a sensible means of controlling feral animals,”

Ok Very well, show us the evidence of your claims people… There is no evidence, you guys are just a bunch of iron deficient hacks. Lets hope Animal Liberation NSW never gets any sort of power in this State or we are all doomed Vegan or not.

If you hear how many people turned up please let me know. I’m guessing less than 100 people. I could be wrong though as there are a few Uni Campus’ not to far away.

From the rally:

hunting huntingnatparksprotest Animal Liberation, National Parks Association & Others Rally Against Hunting in NSW National Parks

Tags: , ,

Category: Hunting and Shooting News, Keith Drain's Column, Politics & Media

Comments (25)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Andrewk says:

I commented on the article (daily telegraph) but i doubt it will be published so I’ll stick it here.

I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. National Parks could benefit by fees attached to permits to hunt and reduce feral animals at the same time.

But i do have some questions;
    What is considered a sensible means of controlling feral animals?

And; how are National Parks currently controlling feral animal populations and what is the cost of these controls?

2. ScottW says:

I also posted a comment but they don’t appear to be publishing ANY comments.

3. 30/30 Man in SA says:

Hunting in national parks has been working for many many years here in SA very successfully. I attended a Friends of the Parks forum a few years ago when awards were presented by the Environment Minister to SSAA representatives for their efforts in operation bounceback to assist the survival of yellow foot rock wallabies in the Flinders Ranges. The track record in SA indicates this initiative really works. It will also work in NSW. Lynda Stoner should stick to what she is good at – B rate movies and stage shows!

4. Count Mouritz says:

Can anyone tell me the difference between a so called professional shooter and a amateur shooter? A professional shooter is PAID that makes him a so called professional. I’m only an Amateur hunter with over 20 years hunting experience I try to get out hunting at least six times a year. At a Property near Condobolin. I fired 32 shots for 29 kills in 1 night not a bad score for a amateur. The rangers and public have nothing to worry about us Amateurs There are more sheep, cows and horses on the properties I hunt on than than you would find in a National park and I haven’t accidentally shot one and If I did I would not get an invite back.

5. ScottW says:

My simple interpretation is that a “professional shooter” has in some way been endorsed (and generally paid) by an authority to shoot specific species.

However, anyone holding a shooting licence would have to be more ‘professional’ than some anti-gun nut with no understanding of firearms/hunting etc.

6. Gerald says:

Hahaha. Uneducated loons like you are the reason I handed in my arms, became Vegan and forced my father to stop torturing his sheep and shooting Roos because they like to hang around his dam. Take some god damn responsibility. So happy about whom I have become even more now. I think I may give activism a go.

7. Wato says:

Gerald. So glad your not my son with your narrow minded opinions. I feel for your father who has obiviously worked hard to get you to where you are today, only to have everything stripped away from him by someone he loves.

Educated 47 year old father of 4.
    Recently taken up shooting again.
    Proud to be an Australian.

8. craig says:

Gerald. Would you please take yourself opinionated narrow minded arse of this forum.

9. Keith Drain says:

Gerald,
    I take it by you claiming that your old man was “torturing his sheep” you mean he was mulesing his sheep to prevent fly strike?
    If so you an extremely cruel man.
    Mules me any day over becoming fly blown!

10. Stuart says:

I know of 3 parks locally that are frequented by illegal hunters and doggers, mainly at night and on long weekends. It is happening anyway people no matter what side your on. The illegal hunters using unregistered or stolen firearms arent going to like legalised hunting because it will take away their sport. It will also mean they are more likely to be caught as departments will enforce the hunting activities.
    Also have a look at the back of your firearms licence, I bet it doesnt say National Park as a genuine reason…that will be up to the commissioner of police when you apply.

11. Gerald says:

I am the way I am because I love Australia. Most of the animals listed on the ferals list are native. I will not shoot native. My father now has to put more effort into his stock, but at least he has now taken reaponsiblity and accountability to animal “husbandry”. As I am very familiar with farming in Australia, I find the contempt for my country and irresponsible attitude by the majority of our farmers nothing short of shameful. The fact that farmers put money before Australia is disgusting. I only eat food from Australia and wear Australian made, but only if it is organic, bio-dynamic, and animal friendly. As I said, take some responsibility and stay out of my beautiful parks. I know the attitude, and although there is a major feral problem, I have seen the most atrocious cruelty in the hunting fraturnity an you cannot be trusted with the bio health of my country. This is Australia, if you don’t like it leave.

12. Keith Drain says:

Oh please,
    Mate you talk and talk but you’re helping no one. Since when are foxes, pigs, rabbits, hares, goats and cats native animals?
    You sound very extreme which is not what Australia is about.
    A little too preachy for my and the rest of Australia’s liking.
    If you want to be Eco-friendly you’d be a hunter who uses what he kills.

To me you sound like a whining do-nothing do-gooder.

13. wato says:

I’m with you Keith. It won’t take much with all this politically correct do good attitude for us all to be adopting an asylum seeker and buying everything from our asian neighbours.

14. Stuart says:

Hi
    Here is an article that you might be interested to read. This is the difference between a firearm and a weapon.

15. Kersten says:

I fully support integrated pest species control on both public and private land that is carried out by professionals in a coordinated manner. This may include the use of professional hunters in some programs. However, allowing no professional hunters into NPWS is not appropriate for the following reasons.
    Equity
    Visitation to NSW Parks was estimated at around 38 million visits in 2010 when there was no hunting allowed. In the same period only 21, 354 written permissions were granted to hunt on public land. The interests of the people who form the 38 million visits are being disregarded for the sake of the 21,354 hunter visits. Seems pretty inequitable, particularly when hunters have already effectively excluded the rest of the population from a large number of State Forests.
    What makes better business sense?
    In 2007-2008, the government received over $34.8 million in revenue from park entry passes, camping fees, licence fees, lease rentals, caravan parks, residences and cabins.
    In 2010-11 the Game Council cost the people of NSW $2.5million
    Hunting in National Parks puts our tourism industry at great risk.
    Safety
    According to a report commissioned for the Game Council, there were 4 shooting-related deaths in NSW between 2000 and 2010; there were also a number of injuries. There is greater use of National Parks by the public than State Forest, so we can expect a greater number of people shot dead over the next 10 years.
    Cost of control of feral animals
    In 2010-2011, the Game Council received $2.5 million in grants from the NSW government. In 2010-2011, according to the Game Council’s annual report, only 14,161 animals were shot in state forests. Of these 6621 were rabbits and 520 hares. So over half the animals shot were rabbits or hares. On an average cost per animal the NSW tax payer is paying the Game Council $177 for each rabbit or hare removed. This cost is even high for pigs with NPWS coordinated profession baiting and shooting programs costing less than $80 per pig.
    Effectiveness of control technique
    Of the 14,161 animals shot in 2010-11, 78% were of species (rabbits/hares, foxes, pigs, cats and dogs) for which ground shooting has been identified as being ineffective or having very limited effectiveness in controlling populations. A further 19% were feral goats, for which ground shooting is only effective for smaller populations or if used if used in conjunction with other control methods such as mustering or trapping.
    While armature hunting can remove some feral animals from our public land, there is no evidence that it is effective when undertaken in isolation of an appropriate integrated control program and the Game Councils own report shows that it is not cost effective.

Please be honest about this, it is a sport, please keep it in the club or on private land and let the rest of us enjoy our public State Forests and National Parks without fear and without having to subsidize your recreational activity.

16. James P from WA says:

$177 is complete and utter crap because the $2.5 million is not going into directly into shooting but entire running of the organisation

Simple facts less than 1% of sports-based fatalities are caused by firearms based off NCIS report that the Game council had done The 4 deaths you listed where on private land not public

now funking with the numbers i can say this

combined Horse Riding,Hiking,Orienteering and similar totalled 105 deaths and firearms only 13 that’s 8 times deadlier does that mean we should also not allow those sport on public land how about water based sports that’s ~66.5 time more dangerous than firearms

THINK before copy and posting ANTI bull crap from the facebook pages of various anti firearms / hunting groups

17. Kersten says:

It’s great to see the high quality of debate on this website.

In response to James, the NSW tax payer is paying $2.5 million to deliver a recreational activity for a small number of participants and for the NSW tax payers forced contribution we get 14,000 pest animals removed, mostly rabbits. As I mentioned earlier, professional integrated programs would provide more than twice the value for money in terms of pest species control.

In response to the comment on undertaking other activities with a risk, horse riding, hiking, orienteering and similar may represent a risk to the participant. However, hunting on public land represents a risk to all users of the land including those not involved with hunting. There is a distinct difference here and I believe that poor NZ teacher who got mistaken for a deer and shot between the eyes would agree.

I would be very interested to hear your response to my comments on equity in regards to the use of so much public land for a small user group for an activity that effectively excludes other users.

18. Keith Drain says:

Kersten,

I don’t know who you’re trying to convince with debating this here?
    Is it the hunters that wot change their mind and believe they are right or is it the anti’s who won’t read this site and already agree with you?

The USA has used public hunting as a means of pest and game management since the times for Teddy Roosevelt and it works for them. The vast majority of hunting in the US is done on public land and there isn’t the widespread anarchy that you lot are proposing will happen here in Australia.

Have you had a police check because everyone with a firearm on public land will have had one to make sure they are fit to own firearms.

19. James P from WA says:

can you give me a link to information on the grant I want some more info

and on your second point tho I was being sarcastic if you couldn’t tell its your fault my point is everything is dangerous and you can twist the numbers in anyway to make them do what you want

hunter dont walk trails just wishing a pig ,dear,goat,frog,alien whatever will appear they will go as far away from the trails and camp grounds to make sure people aren’t around and then will only shot if you think you will take the animal as you only get one shot before the animals scatter and the hours of effort put in become wasted

Also being honest I dont care about the teacher in NZ firearm laws are pathetic and safety is like an optional extra this I have witness this personally many time with the hunters 30 and under in NZ and a majority of hunter there are also unlicensed and trying to compare them to us is extremely stupid

20. Gary says:

I bought a 600 acre block for hunting weekends, anyone wanting to shoot in a park would have to be desperate. Rangers, traditional owners, game council, permits, insurance, treated like a work experience student…not my idea of recreation.

21. Kersten says:

One of my friends has a small rural residential block of land adjoining a State Forest where hunting is allowed, last year he was in the back yard with his five year old daughter. A bullet travelled within 20m of him and his daughter and lodged in a tree two blocks down from their land. When he called the police he was told to contract the Game Council, when he called the Game Council he was told that the person had a hunting permit and had the right to shoot in the State Forest and that there was nothing that they would do.

If people are going to be shooting on public land incidents such as this should be investigated properly but they are not. Basic rules such as not pulling the trigger unless you know where your bullet is going are already not being followed. With shooting on more public land this risk increases.

Gary has done the right thing and got his own land to shoot on, hunting is a recreational activity which poses a potentially lethal risk to non participants and should not be carried out on public land.

22. Kersten says:

Just one more point about hunting in the US. According to the International Hunter Education Association approximately 1000 people are accidentally shot by hunters in US and Canada each year with around 100 fatalities. Professional integrated pest species control programs on public land don’t carry this kind of risk to the public.

23. James P from WA says:

With a combined population (USA,CAN) of around 350 million 100 people die a year is an extremely minute amount and the above point is completely invalid.

All you antis do is play with numbers to make your facts up but its simple shooting and hunting are safe if done right. and no screwing with numbers can change that

Now your for rebuttal like all your answer will be to throw more numbers and lies around and change focus to another point which will most likely be invalid as all your previous points

24. michael jones says:

To all the anties.I live in Tasmania and the amount of bush walkers that are injured in our state forest, national parks, and crown land is incredible to say the least.The amount of money that is spent searching for these so called experienced bush walkers is bull sht and your have the cheek to preach about shooters in state forest and crown land.We as citizens and tax payers of Australia have as much right to be there as the likes of the anties. I dont shoot on state or crown land but have done in the past and never had a problem but one property I shoot on has state forest at the back of it and is off bounds to the public.We have so many problems with you people/ bush walker anties that think you own the rights to every thing in Australia walking through our land to illegally go walkies on that block of land while we are legally shooting on ours and have had to stop shooting to escort those idiots off. Now if we shoot 1 of those people by mistake is it our fault or theirs as we are allowed on there and they are not.Please fill free to comment on this as we make sure we are doing the right thing and we are safe but cant allow for the unforeseen idiots that thinks they can do what they like because their special.Ps the greens down here want all introduced species eradicated by poison. Not bad for a group of people who pushed to stop poisoning animals and most shooters in Australia would say no to poisoning as well as poision is slow and dose not discriminate.So what I am trying to say to you is if you dont like shooting on state or crown land and feel that you are unsafe dont go their and dont try and stop others enjoying them selves in their past time.Shooting in Australia is a multi million dollar industry just like cigarettes and the government hasnt stopped that because it needs the money so learn to live with shooters.
    Mike

25. It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I am reading this enormous piece of writing to improve my know-how.

Review my web-site … surveillance cameras